Amit Kakkar is a corporate and transactional attorney who advises both publicly- and privately-held companies in corporate and commercial transactions where he assists clients in developing and implementing business development strategies and utilizes his legal and business acumen to provide practical, creative, and comprehensive business law solutions.
Mr. Kakkar focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions transactions and has significant experience drafting and negotiating the terms of transaction documents, such as merger agreements, asset and stock purchase agreements, stockholders' agreements, operating agreements, and employment and confidentiality agreements. Mr. Kakkar also handles a broad range of securities matters, including public and private offerings, capital-raising transactions and disclosure issues, private equity and venture capital transactions, and corporate governance and general contract matters.
In addition, Mr. Kakkar routinely assists and advises entrepreneurs and small companies in forming, starting and funding businesses. In such matters, Mr. Kakkar counsels clients with regards to entity formation and business structuring, negotiating shareholder and operating agreements, capital raising, and other issues affecting start-up companies.
- Represented Teleflex Incorporated in the acquisition of Nostix, LLC, a developer of tip confirmation systems used in connection with the placement of vascular access devices
- Represented Spark Therapeutics in the acquisition Genable Technologies, a private gene therapy innovator
- Represented IPS-Integrated Project Services in the sale of the majority of its membership interests to Alleghany Capital Corporation, a private equity purchaser and wholly owned subsidiary of Alleghany Corporation
- Acted as the lead associate in representing the City of Philadelphia and the Mayor regarding the historic sale of Philadelphia Gas Works (PGW), and negotiating a complex auction transaction valued at approximately $2 billion. The sale of PGW is the largest transaction conducted by the City of Philadelphia and the sale of the largest city-owned utility in the United States.
- Represented DuPont in a multi-jurisdictional transaction for the sale of Glass Laminating Solutions/Vinyls (GLS/Vinyls), a part of DuPont Packaging & Industrial Polymers with assets across many countries, to Kuraray Co., Ltd., for $543 million plus the value of inventories
- Represented an NYSE-traded aerospace company in a Rule 144A private placement offering of convertible debt and in the acquisition of the stock and membership interests of a leading commercial metal finishing provider
- Represented a leading independent equipment leasing and finance company in a growth equity investment from a private investment firm
- Represented a national investment company in the sale of its ownership interest in an energy-from-waste facility
- Represented DuPont in the sale of Liqui-Box Corporation, its liquid packaging business, to investment affiliates of The Sterling Group
- Represented a life sciences company in the private placement of Series C preferred stock with current and new investors
- Represented an energy company in the issuance of private exchange offers for senior notes through a subsidiary
- Represented a global life sciences company in the sale of a subsidiary business
Before joining Ballard Spahr, Mr. Kakkar served a legal externship with Philadelphia Gas Works.